Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sour Cream Pound Cake

Today I am sharing with you a pound cake recipe that I have been making for the last 20 years. This recipe is not up for discussion on health or nutrition. No substitutions have been made to reduce fat, cholesterol or calories. I got this recipe from a Betty Crocker Holiday Ideas cookbook back in 1991. It is a wonderful recipe and I hope you have the opportunity to try it sometime!
















Sour Cream Pound Cake
1/2 pound butter
3 cups sugar
6 eggs separated (I only had 5 and it still turned out good!)
1 cup sourcream (if you don't have sourcream and can use plain yogurt)
1 tsp almond extract (optional)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 300 degrees
Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in egg yolks until well blended. Beat in sourcream, almond extract, and vanilla. Mix flour and baking soda together in separate bowl. Beat flour mixture into batter one cup at a time, until well blended. In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff and gently fold into batter. Pour cake batter into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Cooks note: Sometimes I forget to gently fold in the egg whites. After I have added all the flour, I immediately add the egg whites to the mix master bowl. So no gentle folds going on here!! haha And it still turns out good!!


Here's the recipe I used to ice the cake.
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup pineapple juice
1 tbsp lime juice
2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
Add butter to saucepan and melt. Pour in pineapple juice and lime juice; stir well and add icing sugar. Let sauce boil and keep stiring. The icing will thicken. Remove from stove and let cool for a couple of minutes. Pour over cake and voila!






























I also added some chopped maraschino cherries to the batter!
Mmmmm yummy!















Enjoy!!
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...