Monday, January 25, 2010

Hutch Redo

I found a two piece hutch at the thrift store a while back. I told hubby I just had to have it. So on the roof of my truck it was bound and tied. It was moving to a new home. And it's been in the garage a long time. My hubby wanted it out of his work shop so he helped me along a bit, especially with the painting. But it is finally finished and I am so happy and pleased with the outcome.

It was really in good shape except for some scratches and yellow gooey stuff stuck on it. Hubby fixed all that up though! First, I needed to prep the hutch for painting by sanding it. I used my B&D palm sander. Then I wiped off all the dust with a tack cloth and the shop vac. Now, my piece was ready for the first coat of paint, which is primer. Primer is a special paint that is usually white. I purchased a latex based primer, since it is easier to work with than oil based paint. Then I bought some paint. A litre each of brown, green and glaze. The first coat was brown mixed with glaze. The second coat was green mixed with glaze. I also put a bit of gold metallic glaze in with the green.

Here are some before and after shots.















I now have it in my craftroom.

Thanks for stopping by!

Christina

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Yvette-Michelle of Crafted Spaces and I just found you on YouTube, where you make reference to your blog and the hutch. You have done an AMAZING job. It is very beautiful. I love the colour and the ornate handles. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...